top of page
MEDITATION & BREATHING: FOCUSING INWARDS
- Parent advance task: Roll up a few hand towels, place in crock pot & cover with 1-2 cups water, add 10 drops of essential oil e.g. lavender. Set on low for 1.5 hours.
- Gather your yoga mats and arrange in a circle, or sit in a circle on your floor/carpet for some gentle stretching and morning yoga poses.
- Fun sensory play with 5-4-3-2-1 game: 5 things you see, 4 you can touch, 3 you can hear, 2 you can smell, 1 you taste.
- Blindfold them and do a ‘tickle test’ using different household items: soft, scratchy,rubbery
- With everyone still sitting in a circle, put on Cosmic Kids Yoga: The Listening Game (YouTube)
- Meditation exercise: ask everyone to close their eyes and picture a flower blossoming, ready to bud, waving in the wind, in a beautiful field. Ask them to take deep breaths through their noses. Imagine the flower opening, petal by petal, little by little, until it is fully open and facing the sun. Eyes open, explain that they just meditated a little bit!
- Morning Pages for kids: a few lines about how they feel, checking in with themselves. Good writing practice for older kids. For littles, you can write it for them.
- End this session by reading a calm, quiet story together - check out our recommendations in the ‘Books’ section below.
- Try the amazing app "Stop, Breathe, Think" to help with this session.
- Dress-up: get your kids into their swim stuff, bathrobes & flip-flops!
- DIY four spa products with your kids, from ingredients you probably already have in your bathroom or pantry.
- Ingredients you'll need for these recipes: Essential oils (any), baking soda, cornstarch/cornflour, water, gelatin, food colouring, banana, honey, coconut oil, sugar, body wash, bath salts/epsom salts. Optional: flower petals/dried herbs.
- Banana-Honey face masks: 1 medium banana, 2 tbsp honey, optional: vitamin E oil. Blend until properly combined.
- Coconut-Citrus body scrub: 1 cup melted coconut oil, ½ cup sugar, 20-30 drops lime (or any) essential oil. Mix in a bowl, keep in a wide glass jar. Will set and harden.
- Rainbow shower jellies: recipe here
- Lush-inspired Bath Bombs: recipe here
- Parent advance task: Prepare your spa!
- Candle, bath towels (to keep couches clean if you’re using them) pillows, eye masks, nail polish, clean paintbrushes.
- Set the mood: Light a candle, YouTube ‘3 Hours Relaxing Music "Evening Meditation" Background’ for the perfect background accompaniment.
- Drape a hawaiian lei over your kid’s head as they enter the “spa”.
- Speak in a hushed voice, call them ‘sir’ or ‘madam’ - they will love this! - and usher them over to their ‘spa beds’ (couches or mats on floor) for their treatments.
- Apply banana-honey face masks with a clean paintbrush. Leave on for 5 minutes, remove with a damp towel.
- Bring out the hot lavender towels from the crockpot!
- Use tongs, they will be hot. When towels are just warm, place them on kids’ feet, over their robes or clothes and foreheads.
- As they relax, have them check in with their bodies: how do you feel?
- Can you hear/feel your breath, your heartbeat? Does the mask feel good or icky?
- Apply child-safe nail polish on little fingers & toes
- End with a glass of water and a healthy treat!
- A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Sitting Still Like A Frog by Eline Snel
- Breathe and Be by Kate Coombs
- I Am Peace - A Book of Mindfulness by Susan Verde
- How Are You Peeling - Foods with Moods by Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers
- Rainbow vegetable pinwheels: pack a whole lot of fresh, crunchy goodness into a wholewheat or spinach tortilla wrap! Recipe here
- Eat The Rainbow: colourful fruit tray
- Smoothies! Try these on your kiddos: banana-chocolate,raspberry-quinoa, green veg-peach, strawberry-watermelon!
bottom of page